Steel and Steel Products (Quality Control) Order, 2020
Steel and Steel Products (Quality Control) Order, 2020
To comply with the latest version of steel and steel products safety standards and to support the Standard Mark, the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), the Government of India issued the Steel and Steel Products (Quality Control) Order, 2020. This steel products draft quality control order seeks to tighten quality norms for steel, both imported and manufactured. The new provision of steel quality order will become effective on August 1, 2020; the quality order mandates the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) certification for steel products imports. This article will look at the Steel and Steel Products (Quality Control) Order 2020 in detail.
Purpose of Steel and Steel Products (Quality Control) Order
Introducing the Steel and Steel Products (Quality Control) Order aims to ensure quality steel products for the customer and strengthen the government’s current policy of keeping non-essential imports under check. According to the reports, India is one of the net importers of finished steel products, and the Steel Quality control order is one of the essential ways to halt the flow of cheap sub-standard steel products in the Indian market.
Applicability of Steel and Steel Products (Quality Control) Order
Steel and Steel Products (Quality Control) Order relates to the regulation of steel and steel products. The products included in the order are steel tubes, tubular, other wrought steel fitting, steel tubes for structural purposes, water wells, or any other products as notified by the Government of India.
The quality order of cables applies to heavy-duty electric cables, aerial bunched cables, elastomeric insulated cables, shot firing cables, welding cables, and halogen-free flame retardant cables.
Significance of Quality Control Order
- The introduction of quality control orders is to formulate technical regulations such as safety and quality standards for 350 products to curb imports of non-essential steel items.
- According to the quality orders, the notified items cannot be produced, imported, traded, or stocked unless they bear the Bureau of Indian Standard mark (BIS mark).
Conformity to Standards and Essential Requirements
- Every steel and steel product specified in the quality control order must conform to the corresponding Indian standards defined in the order.
- Stainless steel pipes and tubes made from the stainless steel products specified in the order need to conform to Indian Standards specified in the qualifying order, bearing Standard Mark. They need to accompany the test certificate of input material.
- Goods specified in the order conform to the corresponding essential requirement under a Certificate of Conformity from the Bureau as per Scheme–IV of Schedule–II of the Bureau of Indian Standards (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, 2018
Exclusion of Export in Quality Control Order
The order excludes products meant for shipping. Elimination of export is for the purpose that Indian traders making such items for foreign market needs and they need to comply with the destination market standards.
Compulsory Use of Standard Mark
Every steel and steel products need to bear the Standard Mark under a license from the Bureau as per Scheme–I of Schedule–II of the Bureau of Indian Standards (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, 2018.
Prescribed Authority for Steel Imports
As per the draft Steel and Steel Products (Quality Control) Order, the BIS Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) would certify and enforce all steel and steel products exported, imported, and manufactured in India.
New provision of Steel and Steel Products (Quality Control) Order
Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), the Government of India, has sought comments from the World Trade Organization (WTO) members on the DPIIT’s draft quality control order on steel. The member needs to furnish the reports within 15 days once the notification is out; the new provision of the Steel and Steel Products (Quality Control) Order will be in place within six months.
Indian Safety Standards for Steel Products
The steel and steel products manufactured or imported in India should comply with the Indian standards on safety aspects such as mechanical and physical properties.
- Plain hard drawn Steel Wire For Pre-stressed Concrete and Indented Wire for Pre-stressed Concrete
- Uncoated Stress Relieved Strand For Pre-stressed Concrete
- Fusion Bonded Epoxy-Coated Reinforcing Bars
- Uncoated Stress Relieved Low Relaxation Seven- wire and Galvanized Steel Sheets (Plain and Corrugated)
- Steel plates for pressure vessels and Carbon steel cast billet
- Grain Oriented Electrical Steel Sheet and Strip, blooms, and slabs
- Cold Rolled Non-Oriented Electrical Steel Sheet and High strength deformed steel bar and wire for concrete reinforcement
- Mild Steel and Medium Tensile Steel Bars
- Cold reduced low carbon steel sheets and Hot Rolled Carbon Steel Sheets, Plates, and Strips.
- Mild steel for metal arc welding electrodes
- Cold Rolled Steel Strips
- Hot Rolled Steel Sheet and High Carbon Steel Wire Rods
- Round steel wire for ropes and Steel wires for mechanical springs
- Bead Wires for Tyres and Steels for Cold Heading/Cold extrusion
- Structural Weather resistant steel and Fire-resistant steel
- High Tensile Strength Flat Rolled Steel Plate
- Hot Dip Aluminum-Zincnc alloy metallic coated steel strip
- Structural Steel for Building with improved seismic Resistance
- Stainless Steel Wire Rod and Low Nickel Austenitic Stainless Steel Sheet
- Strip For Utensils and Kitchen Appliances and Bright steel bars
- Steel for valves for internal combustion engines
- Carbon manganese steel forgings for pressure vessels
- Magnetic materials – specification for original article – Fe-based amorphous strip delivered in the semi-processed state.
- Steel Rivet Bars (medium And High Tensile and Specification for Mild Steel Wire
- Steel for the manufacture of laminated spring (railway rolling stock)
- Specification for Steel Wire for Umbrella Ribs
- Steel For Electrically welded round Link Chain and Steel Wire for Needles
- Steels for High-Temperature Bolting Applications
The critical Indian Safety Standards for steel products in the Steel and Steel Products (Quality Control) Order are summarized below:Steel and steel products (Quality Control) Order, 2020
Penalty for Contravention
If a person who contravenes any of the provisions of the Steel and Steel Products (Quality Control) Order shall be punishable under the provisions of the Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 2016.