The Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship initiated the National Skill Certification and Monetary Reward through Standard Training Assessment and Reward Scheme (STAR). The scheme encourages the youth by providing a training program to incorporate market-driven skills and increase problem-solving methods to meet the demand of highly competitive markets. Upon successful completion of the training, the members are provided with monetary rewards and certificates.
The National Skill Certification and Monetary Reward is designed by the Government of India (GoI) to motivate the youth in India to gain knowledge on efficient methods. This scheme was developed to meet the demands of the domestic industry, fill the gap among skill-based employment and increase productivity.
The scheme provides a training program, where the members registered with the program can obtain certificates by qualifying the necessary tests. The certificate will be provided by GoI, NSDC, RASCI/GJSCI under the name Standard Training Assessment & Reward (STAR) Certificate. The certificate is valid across the country, which can be used for employment, additional skill development or entrepreneurship.
Goal of the Scheme
The goal of the scheme is to implement the program through Public-private and Public-Public partnerships to increase employability and market mechanisms.
Objectives of National Skill Certification and Monetary Reward
- Emphasis over the standardisation of the certification process
- To increase employment opportunities and help create individual enterprises
- Aimed to provide or initiate the process of creating a registry of skills
- To encourage them with employability, skill development and monetary rewards
- Train the member as per Indian market requirements
Benefits of National Skill Certification and Monetary Reward
- Increased employment opportunities
- The cash reward act as a scholarship for the candidate
- Increased skill among the youth
- More opportunities for entrepreneurship
- The candidate will be employed within a year
The applicant registering for the course will be rewarded with Rs.15,000 and a certificate upon successful completion of the course.
Fee Details for the Program
The fees for courses aligned for shop floor job roles in manufacturing is Rs.1500.
All other courses are Rs.1000.
Target of the National Skill Certification and Monetary Reward
The key target of this scheme is to develop the skills of youth to decrease unemployment. The scheme has successfully trained about 10 lakh youth until 2019. Presently, the scheme has targeted to provide the STAR certification for 500 million till 2022.
- The applicant should be an Indian citizen
- The applicant should have completed 10th grade
- The applicant registering for the course must be 18 years or above
How to apply
The candidate enrolling himself for STAR Scheme can apply for any of the listed courses within the sector having high demand. The applicant can pursue the course through any of the approved training providers.
Step 1: Approach to the respective Sector Skill Councils (SSCs), Training Providers (TPs) and Independent Assessment Agencies (AAAs) to register with the scheme
Step 2: Register with the institute providing all the required documents
Step 3: Register with SDMS database along with UID or NPR number
Step 4: Pay the required fee for the course
Step 5: If the applicant cannot pay the fee for the course, the applicant can choose to pay after receiving the monetary reward money
Click here to read about Skill Training for rural youth