SEZ Unit Benefits in India
SEZ Unit Benefits in India
SEZ or Special Economic Zone (SEZ) is a specifically delineated duty free enclave that is deemed to be foreign territory for the purposes of trade operations, duties and tariffs. Goods and services going into the SEZ area from domestic tariff area is treated as exports, while goods and services coming from the SEZ is treated as imports. State governments have a lead role in the setting up of SEZ in association with private sector. Foreign or domestic businesses can setup units in Indian SEZs. To setup a manufacturing, trading or service unit in a SEZ, application must be made to the Development Commissioner of the SEZ. In this article, we look at the benefits enjoyed by units setup in SEZ.
Customs and Excise Benefits
- SEZ units are allowed to import or procure from domestic sources, duty free, all their requirements for capital goods, raw materials, consumables, spares, packing materials, office equipments, etc., for implementation of the business in the SEZ without any license or specific approval.
- Duty free import and domestic procurement of goods for setting up of SEZ unit.
- Goods imported or procured locally duty free could be utilised over the approval period of 5 years.
- Domestic sale of finished products, by-products on payment of applicable customs duty.
- Domestic sale of rejects and waste and scrap on payment of applicable customs duty on the transaction value.
- Physical export benefit.
- 100% IT exemption (10A) for first 5 years and 50% for 2 years thereafter.
- Reinvestment allowance to the extent of 50% of ploughed back profits.
- Carry forward of losses.
Foreign Direct Investment (FDI)
- 100% FDI under the automatic route is allowed in manufacturing sector in SEZ except arms and ammunitions, explosive, atomic substance, narcotics and hazardous chemicals, distillation and brewing of alcoholic drinks and cigarettes, cigars and manufactured tobacco substitutes.
- No cap on foreign investments for SSI reserved items.
Banking, Insurance & External Commercial Borrowings
- Setting up of off-shore banking units is allowed in SEZs.
- Freedom to bring in export proceeds without any time limit.
- External commercial borrowings by units up to $500 million a year allowed without any maturity restrictions.
- OBUs allowed 100% income tax exemption on profit for 3 years and 50% for next 2 years.
- Flexibility to keep 100% of export proceeds in EEFC account. Freedom to make overseas investment from it.
- Commodity hedging permitted.
- Exemption from interest rate surcharge on import finance.
- SEZ units allowed to write off unrealised export bills.
Central Sales Tax & Service Tax
- Exemption to sales made from domestic tariff area to SEZ unit.
- Exemption from service tax to SEZ units.
Licenses & Approvals
- SEZs are permitted to have non-polluting industries in IT and facilities like golf courses, desalination plants, hotels and non-polluting service industries in the coastal regulation zone area.
- SEZ units are exempted from public hearing under Environment Impact Assessment notification.
- SEZ units enjoy exemption from port restriction under Drugs & Cosmetics Rules.
- Enhanced limit of Rs.2.4 crores per annum allowed for managerial remuneration.
- Agreement to opening of Regional office of Registrar of Companies in SEZs.
- Exemption from requirement of domicile in India for 12 months prior to appointment as Director.
Income Tax eFiling
We have made the Income Tax eFiling, simple and easy. File your income tax return online with the dedicated Tax Experts support from IndiaFilings.
IndiaFilings.com (ERI ID: ERIA100945) is an Income Tax Department authorised eReturn Intermediary.