Minor PAN Card
Minor PAN Card
In India, the Permanent Account Number or PAN Card is an important identity proof which is issued to all citizens including minors, Non-resident Indians (NRIs) and foreign nationals. As per section 160 of the Income Tax Act, even minors are eligible to apply for the PAN card as there is no age limit requirement specified in the Act. PAN card can be applied for children below 5 years and remain the permanent identity proof irrespective of change in the name or address. In this article, we look at the purpose and the application procedure for the minor PAN Card.
To know about Lost PAN Card – Reapplication Procedure
Purpose of Minor PAN Card
Minor PAN Card has various uses which are listed below:
- For kid below 5 years of age, the Minor PAN Card can be used as an identity proof.
- It has been made mandatory if you want your child to be the nominee of your investments.
- PAN card is necessary when the parents wish to make an investment in the name of their child.
- In case the child is earning, their income will be made linked with their parent’s income under section 64(1A). However, the amount earned is taxable and will also have to file income tax return through their Parent or Guardian in the below following cases.
- If the minor earns income on their own through knowledge, skill or talent.
Documents Required to Apply for a Minor PAN Card
- Date of Birth (D.O.B) Proof of a child to be enclosed with the application.
- Address Proof of Representative Assessee must be enclosed.
- Minor should not Sign or Affix thumb impression in the application form
- Identity Proof of Representative Assessee should be enclosed
- Minor Colour Photograph should be Affixed in the Application Form
- Representative Assessee must sign in the application form on behalf of the minor
The fee for the applications of PAN card for Indian citizens is Rs. 115.90 inclusive of taxes.
PAN Application Process of Minors
The parent needs to follow the specified steps to register for the aadhaar card of their child.
Visit the NSDL Website
Step 1: The applicant has to visit the official website of NSDL to apply for a PAN card online.
Step 2: Then you have to click on the “New PAN for Indian Citizen (Form 49A)” option that is visible on the homepage.
Fill in the Credentials
Step 3: Then you have to enter the required details in the portal and have to fill out the right credentials such as child’s name, parent’s phone number and e-mail address, etc.
Step 4: Now select the “Category of Applicant” from the drop box list.
Step 5: After completing the personal details, provide demographic information such as the state, district, locality, the residence of the parents, etc.
Upload the Documents
Step 6: Make sure that all the above-mentioned documents are uploaded for the registration process.
Note: You have to Affix two colour photographs of the child in the application is mandatory.
Step 7: After filling in the application form, select a mode of payment as per your convenience. Following options are available:
- Demand draft
- Credit/debit card
- Net banking
Step 8: After the confirmation process, the system will display an acknowledgement number which helps the applicant in tracking the application.
Issuance of Minor PAN Card
Step 9: After all the above process, within 60 days of receiving the SMS, the PAN Card will be issued to the child.