Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK)
Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK)
Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK) is an agricultural extension centre created by Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR) and its affiliated institutions at the district level to provide various types of farm support to the agricultural sector. KVK play a vital role in conducting on-farm Testing to demonstrate location-specific agricultural technologies. In this article, we will look at the Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK) in detail.
Know more about the Mahila Shakti Kendra Scheme
The objective of Krishi Vigyan Kendra
Krishi Vigyan Kendra is an integral part of the National Agricultural Research System (NARS), aims at assessment of location-specific technology modules in agriculture and allied enterprises, through technology assessment, refinement and demonstrations. KVKs are functioning as Knowledge and Resource Centres of agriculture technology supporting initiatives of public, private & voluntary sectors for improving the agricultural economy of the districts and are linking the NARS with extension system and farmers.
According to the mandate of Indian Council of Agricultural Research, Krishi Vigyan Kendra is operating under the administrative control of the State Agricultural University (SAU) or Central Institute situated in a particular area.
Farm Support Activities
Krishi Vigyan Kendra provides several farm support activities like providing technology dissemination to farmers, training and awareness. To achieve the above-mentioned objectives, KVKs undertake the following types of activities in the adopted villages:
- Farm Advisory Service using ICT and other media means on varied subjects of interest to farmers
- Training programme for different categories of people
- Training programme for the extension functionaries
- Capacity development of farmer and extension personnel to update the knowledge and skills in modern agricultural technologies
- Front Line Demonstration to establish production potential of technologies on the farmers’ fields.
- On-Farm testing to assess the location-specific of agricultural technology under various farming systems.
The KVK is evolving as the future grass root level institutions for empowering the farming community. KVKs have made a dent and has become part of decentralized planning and implementation instrument to achieve the desired level of growth in agriculture and allied sector.
Demonstrations by KVK
Krishi Vigyan Kendra conducts demonstrations to prove the potential of various crops at farmers’ fields. KVK conduct needs to be based on training programmes for the benefit of farmers and farm women, rural youth. KVK is creating awareness about improved agricultural technologies through a large number of extension programmes. Critical and the KVKs produce quality inputs like seeds, planting materials, organic products, bio-fertilizers and livestock, piglet and poultry strains and made available to the farmers.
Krishi Vigyan Kendras Portal
The Government of India has introduced Krishi Vigyan Kendras Portal which will help to monitor the functioning of KVK at the National level and in providing timely information and advisory to the farmers.
Aim of the KVK Portal
The portal aims to transfer the technologies developed by the agriculture scientists to the farmers in a fast and effective manner and to monitor the activities of the Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVK).
The objectives of the Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVK) portal is explained in detail below:
- To create a platform to monitor the various activities and resource utilization by various KVK
- To create the database of the various programmes organized by the KVK along with the detailed information and learning resource
- To help the farmer in resolving their queries using web-portal and mobile technology
- To provide the information about various facilities and activities performed by the KVK and to provide linkage to other relevant information such as weather and market information
- The farmers and the Agricultural Officers can register themselves and seek different information related to KVK
Get Details of KVK
By visiting the official web portal of Krishi Vigyan Kendras, the applicant can get the details of registered KVK.
By providing the details of State and District, the full information about the KVK can be obtained.