Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC)
Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC)
Khadi and Village Industries Commission is a non-constitutional body which is incorporated under the Parliament Act, passed by the Government of India. KVIC aims to plan, promote, facilitate, organize, and assist in the establishment and development of Khadi and Village industries in the rural areas. In this article, we focus on the different schemes organized under the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) in detail.
Objectives of the KVIC
The objectives of the KVIC are explained below:
- Primary Objective – To build up an active rural community
- Social Objective – To provide employment in rural areas
- Economic Objective – To produce a saleable product
- Wider Objective – To create self-reliance among the economically weaker section
Functions of KVIC
The functions of the KVIC are as follows:
- To build a strategic reserve of raw materials and implements for supply to producers.
- To create common service facilities for processing of raw materials as semi-finished goods and provisions of facilities for marketing of KVI products.
- To enhance the sale and marketing of Khadi and other products of village industries or handicrafts.
- To be responsible for encouraging and promoting research in the production techniques and equipment employed in the Khadi and Village Industries sector.
- To provide financial assistance to institutions and individuals for developing and guiding Khadi and Village industries through the supply of designs, prototype and other technical information.
- To assure genuineness of the products and to set standards for the quality of products from the Khadi and Village Industries.
The following are the schemes covered under the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC).
- Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP)
- Market Promotion Development Assistance (MPDA)
- Interest Subsidy Eligibility Certificate (ISEC)
- Workshed Scheme for Khadi Artisans
- Strengthening the infrastructure of existing weak Khadi institutions and assistance for marketing infrastructure
- Khadi Reform and Development Programme (KRDP)
- Scheme of Fund for Regeneration of Traditional Industries (SFURTI)
- Honey Mission
Prime Minister’s Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP)
PMEGP is a credit linked subsidy scheme, for establishing new micro, medium and small enterprises and to create employment opportunities in rural as well as urban areas of the country through KVIC, State Khadi and Village Industries Board and District Industries Centre. Under the PMEGP scheme, the Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) act as the nodal agency at nationwide for implementation of the scheme.
To know more about PMEGP click here
Market Promotion Development Assistance (MPDA)
Market Promotion Development Assistance scheme was proposed with an intention to ensure increased earnings for artisans. Under MPDA scheme, 25% of assistance is provided among the artisans, spinners, and weavers as an additional incentive through their bank or post office account.
Interest Subsidy Eligibility Certificate (ISEC)
Through KVIC scheme, credit at concessional rate of interest can be availed through Banks as per the Interest Subsidy Eligibility Certificate issued by the KVIC.
Workshed Scheme for Khadi Artisans
The KVIC scheme grants financial assistance for construction of workshed to khadi artisans belonging to BPL category. The Khadi institution is responsible for the utilization of the financial assistance given under the scheme for the benefit of the artisans which empowers a sustainable path for income generation, growth and better work environment.
Strengthening the infrastructure of existing weak Khadi institutions and assistance for marketing infrastructure
Under this scheme, financial assistance is rendered to existing weak Khadi institutions for the strengthening of their infrastructure and of selected khadi sales outlets.
Khadi Reform and Development Programme (KRDP)
KRDP aims to provide earning opportunity to rural artisans in their household at minimal investment. The KRDP also helps to support the development of traditional village industries such as handmade paper, honey, herbal health and cosmetics, leather and agro-food processing industry.
Scheme of Fund for Regeneration of Traditional Industries (SFURTI)
SFURTI scheme is to provide need-based assistance for the replacement of production tools, product development, setting up of common facility centres (CFC), quality improvement, improved marketing, training and capacity building etc.
To know more about SFURTI click here
KVIC launched Honey (Bee) Mission for supporting Beekeeping and creating employment opportunities in the beekeeping states of the country. One of the intentions of the SFURTI Scheme is to promote scientific beekeeping practice for improving the livelihood of rural youth and farmers.
KVIC also executes other activities for the growth of various village industries like pottery, chemical based, polymer, handmade paper and fibre-based, agro-based, bee-keeping and other forest-based activities.
Post by Karthiga
IndiaFilings is India's largest online compliance services platform dedicated to helping people start and grow their business, at an affordable cost. We were started in 2014 with the mission of making it easier for Entrepreneurs to start their business. We have since helped start and operate tens of thousands of businesses by offering a range of business services. Our aim is to help the entrepreneur on the legal and regulatory requirements, and be a partner throughout the business lifecycle, offering support at every stage to ensure the business remains compliant and continually growing.