Inner Line Permit
Inner Line Permit
An Inner Line Permit is a travel document that allows an Indian citizen to visit a state that is protected under the Government. Indians must obtain a permit for entering into the protected or restricted areas within the country. Inner Line Permit is issued under the Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulation, 1873, by the respective state governments. In this article, we will look at the Inner Line Permit in detail.
Purpose of Inner Line Permit
The main purpose of issuing the Inner Line Permit system is to regulate the movement of people in certain areas located near the international border of India.
States Which Require Inner Line Permit
The Inner Line Permit is applicable for the following three Northeastern states. Residents of these states can visit the respective states without the IPL.
- Arunachal Pradesh
No Indian citizen can overstay beyond the period specified in the ILP
Inner Line Permit System in Arunachal Pradesh
Inner Line Permit is issued by the secretary (political) of the Government of Arunachal Pradesh. The ILP is mandatory for entering Arunachal Pradesh through any of the check gates across the interstate border with Assam or Nagaland.
Validity of ILP
- An ILP for temporary visitors is valid for 7 days and can be extended.
- ILP for employment in the state and their immediate family members is valid for a year.
Type of ILP
Following two types of Inner Line Permit is issued in Arunachal Pradesh:
- Single Permit
- Group Permit
Any of the following identity documents is necessary for applying for Inner Line Permit in Arunachal Pradesh.
The applicant needs to pay Rs.100 application fee for applying for the Inner Line Permit in Arunachal Pradesh.
- The applicant needs to access the official webpage of Arunachal Pradesh Inner Line Permit.
- By clicking on the eILP option, the application form will be displayed.
- The format of the ILP application form is enclosed here:
- Provide relevant information and mail ID. The email ID will be verified before further processing of the ILP application. The login information will be sent to the registered email ID.
- Upload the documents, on submission of the application; it will be processed by the concerned authority.
- The status can be monitored using the Check Status option.
- On approval of the application, the Payment link will be activated and the applicant needs to make an online payment for approval and issuance of Inner Line Permit.
- After payment and on Approval the “Print” link will be activated for the printing of the permit, which can be viewed after login.
Note: The applicant must carry the originals of the documents uploaded and produce it at the entrance gate for verification by officials.
Inner Line Permit System in Mizoram
Inner Line Permit in Mizoram can be obtained from Liaison Officer, Government of Mizoram from the following cities:
- New Delhi
- Government employees travelling for official purposes are exempted from obtaining Mizoram ILP and employees should have to submit a photo identification card
- Citizens arriving by air can get the IPL from the Security Officer on arrival at Lengpui Airport, Aizawl.
Citizens entering from Bairabi and Vairengte can obtain ILP from Sub-Deputy Commissioner, Bairabi and Sub-Divisional Officer Vairengte respectively.
Type of ILP
Following two types of Inner Line Permit is issued in Mizoram
- Temporary ILP
- Regular ILP
Validity of ILP
- The temporary ILP is valid for 15 days and can be extended.
- The regular ILP is valid for 6 months and it can be renewed twice for another 6 months. However, sponsorship from a resident or a Government Department is required.
Following documents are necessary for obtaining Inner Line Permit in Mizoram.
- Passport size photo
- Driving License
- Voter ID
- Department ID
Note: For tourists originating from Cachar, Hailakandi and Karimganj districts of Assam State should submit Electoral Roll details due to porous international boundary with Bangladesh.
The application fee for getting ILP in Mizoram is tabulated here:
|Sl.No||Type of Fee||Fee Structure|
To get the Inner Line Permit in Mizoram, the applicant needs to submit an application form to the Resident Commissioner along with the documents. The application form is enclosed here:ilp-regu
On verification of document and application, the commissioner will issue ILP for entering into the state.
Renewal of ILP
Renewal for both Temporary and Regular ILP can be renewed by submitting an application form at District Commissioner’s Office located at Treasury Square, Aizawl.
ILP for Foreigners
- All foreigners have to register at the office of Superintendent of Police (CID/SB) Mizoram who is the designated Foreigners Registration Officer (FRO) of the State within 24 hours of arrival.
- Citizens of Afghanistan, China and Pakistan and foreign nationals having their origin in India would continue to require prior approval of the Ministry of Home Affairs before entering the state.
Inner Line Permit System in Nagaland
The Deputy Commissioner, Government of Nagaland is issuing ILP in Nagaland. Inner Line Permit can be filled Online as well as Offline. The procedure to obtain Inner Line Permit in Nagaland is explained in step by step procedure.
- The applicant must be a registered user of the official website of Government of Nagaland to get the Inner Line Permit.
- Access the official website of Nagaland Government and click on How to apply option from home page.
- In the case of a new user, click on the New User link, it will redirect to the new page.
- Provide essential details and security question. Enter the captcha and click on submit. With this registered username and password, the applicant can proceed with the application.
- After registration, the applicant can log in to the on the portal using the ‘Registered User’. The login page appears. Provide the username and password. The page will be redirected to the application page.
- You will be required to click on the “Submit Online” button for filing the e- form Online or “Submit Offline” button for filling the form Offline.
- In offline mode, the applicant can save the information and fetch the data whenever required and the applicant can assign a security key to secure the details entered.
- To fill out the ILP form in Offline mode, a zip file can be downloaded to the computer on clicking the Submit Offline button.
- Unzip the zipped file, and then provide required details in the ILP.
- Note: Double-clicking on form.html file, an application form can be opened.
- Offline forms can be submitted only when the applicant comes online, and the internet is accessible. After checking the details, the applicant has to visit the official website and log in to the portal to submit the ILP form.
- Online ILP form allows the applicant to fill the form online at once and submit it after validating it.
- By clicking on submitting the online option, the applicant can provide details for e-form. Select the district where the application form to be processed.
Note: As concerned Authority issues ILP in the District jurisdiction, the applicant is required to choose the correct District in the field.
- Upload all required documents for ILP.
Transaction ID Generation
- After providing details and uploading documents in, a transaction id will be generated. This can be used for future references.
Note: Any further communication with Department Authorities regarding the ILP requires the transaction ID.
- Besides, the applicant can print the application form by clicking the print option. After verification, the concerned authority will Inner Line Permit.