Handloom Weavers Comprehensive Welfare Scheme
Handloom Weavers Comprehensive Welfare Scheme
The Handloom weavers comprehensive welfare Scheme (HWCWS) is implemented by the Office of the Development Commissioner for handlooms to help the weavers to avail social security benefits. Let us have a detailed look at this scheme.
- Weavers in the age group of 18 to 50 will be covered under PMJJBY and PMSBY
- Weavers in the age group of 51to 59 who enrolled into MGBBY will be covered under Converged MGBBY.
- Scholarship will be paid to the maximum of two children of the weavers. The children should study between 9th and 12th standard. The amount of scholarship is Rs.100 per month per child and will be paid through the National Scholarship Portal (NSP)
There are two components in this scheme, and they are:
- Health Insurance Scheme (HIS)
- HIS gave various healthcare facilities for all the weavers. This component follows the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY) pattern.
- Insurance cover
- This component gives insurance cover for natural death, accidental death, complete disability, and partial disability.
- Converged Mahatma Gandhi Bunkar Bima Yojana (MGBBY), Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) and Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY) schemes create a social security system.
PMJJBY provides life insurance, and PMSBY provides accidental insurance for accidental death or disability. By converging all the insurance schemes into one scheme, the weavers in the age group of 18 to 50 will be covered for life, accident and disability under PMJJBY and PMSBY. The age group of 51 to 59 who were enrolled under MGBBY scheme will be covered under the Converged MGBBY scheme.
Details of the Schemes
Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY)
- PMJJBY insurance scheme covers life insurance for natural death and accidental death.
- Insurance would be for one-year coverage and can be renewed for each year.
- Weavers and workers of age group 18-50 years are eligible for the scheme
- Rs.2 lakh will be paid on the beneficiary’s death
The annual premium for the insurance scheme will Rs.330
Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)
- PMSBY life insurance scheme covers for accidental death or disability.
- The validity of this insurance scheme is for one year and renewable every year.
- Eligibility for handloom weavers will be of age group 18-50 years.
- The benefits of the scheme will be Rs.2 lakh, which will be paid on beneficiary death of if disabled permanently. And Rs.1 lakh if disabled partially.
The total annual premium amount will be of Rs.12 will be carried out entirely by the Government of India.
Converged Mahatma Gandhi Bunkar Bima Yojana
The Converged MGBBY is an insurance scheme that covers accidental death or disability for a closed set of people of handloom weavers in the age group 51-59 years. Handloom weavers of age group 51-59 years who are already enrolled under converged MGBBY will be eligible to get insurance cover under this scheme. Benefits of the insurance scheme are as follows:
- Natural Death – Rs.60,000
- Accidental Death – Rs.1, 50,000
- Total Disability – Rs.1,50,000
- Partial Disability – Rs.75,000
The insurance annual premium amount is Rs.470.
Procedure of Claim
In case of death or disability, the beneficiary has to approach the Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC). A separate claim form is available which is to be submitted to the Pension and Group Scheme (P&GS) unit of LIC. The total benefits under the schemes will be transferred by the LIC into their respective bank account of the beneficiary.
As an add-on benefit, scholarship to the maximum of two children of the beneficiary is provided under this scheme. The children should study between 9th and 12th standard. The amount of scholarship is Rs.100 per month for each child and will be paid through the National Scholarship Portal (NSP). The details of students have to be registered in the NSP portal. The school and nodal agency will verify the details. LIC will release the scholarship amount through DBT once in a year. The amount will be credited to the respective bank accounts of the beneficiaries.
Fund Release and Monitoring
For Converged Mahatma Gandhi Bunkar Bima Yojana (MGBBY), Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) and Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY), the Office of the Development Commissioner for Handlooms under Ministry of Textiles will release the amount to LIC on an annual basis depending upon the number of insured weavers.
For HIS coverage, Ministry of Textiles will release the state share to LIC accordingly.
Post by Arnold Thomas
IndiaFilings is India's largest online compliance services platform dedicated to helping people start and grow their business, at an affordable cost. We were started in 2014 with the mission of making it easier for Entrepreneurs to start their business. We have since helped start and operate tens of thousands of businesses by offering a range of business services. Our aim is to help the entrepreneur on the legal and regulatory requirements, and be a partner throughout the business lifecycle, offering support at every stage to ensure the business remains compliant and continually growing.