As per the requirements under the Electricity Act, it is mandatory for every owner of the premises to obtain a generator license from the electrical inspector before the commencement of generator installation process. Tamil Nadu Electrical Inspectorate (TNEI) Department will issue the approval in order to verify the conformity of required technical standards for commissioning the installation. In this article, let us know about the procedure for obtaining generator installation license.
Also, read about TIIC Generator Scheme
Stages in Involved in Generator Installation
The following stages of compliances are involved in the commissioning of generator installation:
- Obtaining Load Sanction from the TANGEDCO.
- Obtaining No objection certificate from the TANGEDCO, if the proposal involves paralleling of Generator set with TANGEDCO’S grid.
- Obtaining Electrical Inspectorate’s approval for the drawing proposal.
- Erection and Completion of the Electrical Works based upon the drawings approved by the Electrical Inspectorate.
- Submission of Completion Report for works completed.
- Rectification of defects pointed out after the inspection and submission of rectification report
- Commissioning and Reporting.
- Additions and Alterations to the existing installations.
EHV, HV & MV Installation
According to the Indian Electricity Rules, the following are some of the installation types covered:
|S.No||Voltage Class||Maximum voltage under normal condition||Variations allowed|
|1.||Low Voltage (LV)||250 voltage||-6% to +6%|
|2.||Medium Voltage (MV)||650 voltage||-6% to +6%|
|3.||High Voltage (HV)||33,000 voltage||-9% to +6%|
|4.||Extra-High Voltage (EHV)||above 33,000 voltage||12.5% to +10%|
The following are the authority will inspect and approve the installation process:
|1.||Up to 630 kVA||Electrical Inspector|
|2.||630 – 2500 kVA||Senior Electrical Inspector|
|3.||Above 2500 kVA||Chief Electrical Inspector to the Government|
Documents Required for MV Generator Installation
The following are the documents required for Medium Voltage (MV) generator installation:
- Electrical Contractor’s Completion report duly filled in prescribed form.
- List of Equipment erected with complete details of the engine, generator, control panel, cable, change over the arrangement, etc.,
- Copy of purchase bill for the generator.
- No objection Certificate from the premises owner if the EB service connection is not in the name of the applicant.
- Photocopy of EB meter card.
- Original remittance challan for the Inspection fees paid to a Government.
Documents Required for EHV & HV Installation
The following are the documents required for EHV and HV generator installation:
- An authorisation letter collected from the consumer authorising the contractor to correspond with the Electrical Inspectorate.
- The drawings should be signed by both the consumer and the Electrical Contractor who performs the installation work.
Note: In addition to the above, the applicant has to submit the documents if required from the (TNEI) Board.
Online Procedure for Approval of Generator Installation
Follow the given steps to register for approval of generation installation:
Step 1: The applicant has to log in to the Single Widow portal.
Step 2: In the case of a new user, click on the “Register” button to register as a new user.
Step 3: After Registration, Verification page appears automatically, the applicant has to enter OTP received in Email or SMS.
Step 4: The required application forms for the approval of electrical installation has to be filled and submitted online.
Step 5: In case the application is incomplete, the application will be sent back into the applicant’s account, which will be communicated to the applicant through E-mail & SMS.
Step 6: The applicant has to log in to his account and view the comments of the TNEI officer and submit the necessary documents.
Step 7: If the application is complete in all respects, “Application accepted” shall be communicated to the applicant.
Step 8: The inspector inspects the installation, and the inspection report is uploaded, this information is communicated to the applicant. The applicant has to log in to the respective account and download the inspection report.
Step 9: The Compliance report shall be uploaded by the applicant.
Step 10: In the case of incomplete Compliance, comments shall be communicated to the applicant.
Step 11: The compliance re-submitted by the applicant will be examined by the TNEI officer again. In case it is satisfied on verification, “compliance report accepted” message will be communicated to the applicant.
Step 12: The approval for the installation is uploaded by the TNEI officer. This message is communicated to the applicant.
Step 13: The applicant can log in to his account and download the drawing approval certificate.
The fees in respect of testing and inspection vary based upon the equipment and will be notified by the Tamil Nadu Government from time to time.
The entire process will be completed, and the concerned authority of TNEI will approve the installation within five working days from the day of submission of application.