FRRO Registration Process
FRRO Registration Process
Foreign nationals visiting India for more than 180 days on a student visa, business visa, medical visa, research visa or employment visa are required to get themselves registered with the Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO). FRRO registration must be obtained within 14 days of arrival in India from a Foreigners Registration Officer (FRO) having jurisdiction over the place where the foreigner intends to stay. Pakistan nationals visiting India are required to obtain FRRO registration within 24 hours of their arrival. All Afghan nationals irrespective of the length of stay are required to obtain FRRO registration within 14 days of arrival except those Afghan nationals who enter India on a visa valid for 30 days or less provided the Afghan national concerned gives his/her local address in India to the Indian Mission/FRRO/FRO.
Procedure for Obtaining FRRO Registration
Foreign nationals arriving in India to stay over 180 days must obtain FRRO registration within 14 days of arrival in India. Further, foreign nationals planning to stay in India for more than 180 days can at any point well before the expiry of the 180 days, apply for FRRO registration from a FRO.
Steps for FRRO Registration
- Complete online FRRO registration form and schedule FRRO interview (Online FRRO registration website)
- Generate a unique Registration number by the system.
- Schedule FRRO appointment.
- Attend and complete the FRRO interview with all relevant supporting documents.
Usually, the FRRO registration process completes within 24 hours. The registration officer is responsible for enquiring fields or any other check under this process. Failure or late FRRO registration attracts a penalty of USD30, which is changed from time to time. Hence, it is important for all foreign nationals staying in India for over 180 days to obtain an FRRO registration as early as possible.
Documents Required for FRRO Registration
The documents required for FRRO registration varies based on the type of Indian Visa held by the FRRO registration applicant as follows:
- Original valid passport and Visa along with 4 passport size color photographs
- Completed FRRO registration form
- Three photocopies of the relevant pages of the passport (photo page, the page is indicating validity, page bearing arrival stamp of Indian Immigration.
- FRRO undertaking letter (3 copies signed by Indian Host/ sponsor/ Guarantor along with anyone valid identity document like passport, election identity card, official identity card, PAN card, etc.).
- Proof of Residence (3 copies of either electricity bill/Telephone bill/ Municipal bill/ certificate of municipal authority/Leave & Licence agreement or any other valid proof of residence). Submission of letter from the hotel or receipt of payment is sufficient in case of registration on a Tourist visa.
- FRRO Registration fee- Rs. 100/-.
- In case of registration on an Employment visa, three copies of the terms and conditions of the contract of assignment, including salary, designation, tenure of employment, etc.
- In case of registration on Employment or Business Visa, three copies of PAN card or the application made for grant of PAN card.
- In case of registration on Employment or Business Visa, forwarding letter of concerned company/ Firm /Business undertaking, duly signed by the authorized signatory mentioning the name, designation & telephone, and mobile number.
- In case of registration on a student visa, three copies of Bonafide certificate from School, College or Academic Institute for the academic year mentioning relevant particulars, including the validity of admission and nationality of the foreign student.
- In case of registration on a medical visa, requires the letter from the concerned hospital along with supportive medical documentary/diagnostic test reports with medical certificate about the tentative period of treatment.
- In case of registration on a medical visa and the applicant admitted in the hospital requires a medical certificate bearing a photo of the applicant attested and certified by the doctor.
To consult an immigration Lawyer in India, visit Nearest. Expert