Odisha Death Certificate
Odisha Death Certificate
The death certificate is a document provided by the concerned State Government stating the cause of the death, date and place. The death certificate is a permanent legal record, and therefore the death registration is compulsory under the law of State Government of Odisha. In this article, we look at guidelines for obtaining the Odisha death certificate in detail.
Purpose of Death Certificate
The death certificate should be registered within 21 days of its occurrence. The reason for registering death are mentioned below:
- Legal: Death certificate is considered a legal record of the concerned person’s death. It provides information about the deceased person’s cause of death, including date and place. These details are used for claiming insurance benefits, settlement of pension, and transfer of personal property.
- Statistical: Death certificate is an essential source for analyzing the mortality statistics in the country. These statistics are used for many medical and health-related research.
Registering the Death
The death needs to be registered under the concerned Urban Local Bodies (ULB)/ Municipality Office authorities of locality.
- Death occurs in House: If the death has occurred in-house, the head/guardian of the family should report the death to the concerned authority.
- Death occurs in Hospital: If the death has occurred in the hospital, the medical in-charge should report the death.
- Death occurs in Prison: If the death has occurred in prison, the jail in-charge should register the cause of death.
- Death occurs in Public Places: If the death has occurred in public gathering places or particular institutions, then the concerned in-charge should take responsibility.
The applicant has to attach the following documents when submitting the application form for the death certificate:
- Proof of birth of the deceased.
- A copy of ration card.
- The affidavit which contains the time and place of death.
- Passport size photograph of the deceased.
The following tabulation will specify the fee structure for registering the death.
Death Certificate Fee
If death registered within 21 days
If death registered after 21 days
If death registered after 1 year
Online Registration Procedure
Step 1: Visit the official website of Odisha online and click on “Death Certificate Apply” option from the menu.
Step 2: Login through User ID and Password or Create a New ID and password.
Step 3: Enter the registration number of the deceased person. However, the registration number can be obtained from the hospital.
Step 4: After receiving the registration number, the confirmation message will be sent to the applicant’s registered mobile number and email address.
Step 5: The applicant can check the application status online using the acknowledgement number.
Offline Registration Procedure
To register the death, submit the duly filled application form with the required documents to the concerned authority of municipal office or Common Service Centres (CSC) located nearby the applicant.Odisha Death Certificate Application