Non-Ferrous Metal Import Monitoring System (NFMIMS)
Non-Ferrous Metal Import Monitoring System (NFMIMS)
The Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) has received several representations from Trade and Industry seeking clarification on the Non-Ferrous Metal Import Monitoring System (NFMIMS). In this regard, a policy circular has been issued to clarify the requirement of compulsory Registration under NFMIMS for imports through air mode and several other issues related to NFMIMS.
Clarification Given by DGFT on Non-Ferrous Metal Import Monitoring System
- NFMIMS will not be applicable on air-freighted goods as this mode is used for emergency/small volume high-value goods required at short notice.
- A single NFMIMS registration can import any number of consignments within the validity of the Registration.
- The information relating to proper QCO description can be treated as an optional category in the description filed by the importer under NFMIMS.
- Since the QCO information is optional, the Customs officer doesn’t need to check the QCO description under NFMIMS. However, the customs officer has to consider the provisions/rules under the other laws of the land at the time of clearing the Bill of Entries.
- NFMIMS applies to imports through Advance Authorization, DFIA, and implications to SEZs.
Objective of NFMIMS
Ministry of Mines, Government of India has issued the Non-Ferrous Metal Import Monitoring System (NFMIMS) to provide advanced information in an online system about Copper and Aluminum imports.
Features of NFMIMS
- One license application can cover multiple products. NFMIS provides numerous items for each Registration provided the importer, exporter, manufacturer, country of origin, and port of exportation are the same.
- NFMIMS has the facility to view earlier online registrations. In addition, incomplete applications not submitted for Registration on the DGFT portal are also available in the NFMIMS for review and further action.
- Online Non-Ferrous Metals Import Monitoring System (NFMIMS) is available on a 24X7 basis. However, in the interest of trade/importers, it is suggested that registrations are filed/obtained reasonably well in advance to avoid disruptions in the firm’s business activity.
Note: Any change in the applicant’s mobile/email id will need to be first amended/updated in the DGFT IEC database through the online IEC modification system
Products Covered under NFMMIS
- Copper –Ch 74 of ITC (HS) 2017 (46 tariff items in Annexure – I)
- Aluminum – Ch 76 of ITC (HS) 2017 (43 tariff items in Annexure – II)
The details product list is provided in the attached document.
With effect from 12.04.2021, i.e., the Bill of Entry filed on or after 12.04.2021 for the items listed in the Annexure shall require compulsory Registration under NFMIMS.
Who is Eligible?
Importers are eligible to get the Registration of the Non-Ferrous Metal Import Monitoring System (NFMIMS).
- Import under 43 HS codes of Chapters 76 of ITC (HS), 2017, Schedule − I shall require compulsory Registration under the Non-Ferrous Metals Import Monitoring System (NFMIMS) as per DGFT Notification No. 61/2015−2020, Dated: 31st March 2021.
- Import Policy of specific iron & mines items appearing in Chapter 76 of ITC (HS), 2017, Schedule − I as given in Annex to DGFT Notification no 17 dated 5th September 2019 was changed from ‘free’ to ‘free subject to compulsory Registration under Non-Ferrous Metals Import Monitoring System (NFMIMS).
Import Policy Change for Copper, Aluminum Goods
India guided its recent decisions to change its import policy for items of copper and aluminum from “Free” to “Free subject to compulsory registration under Non-Ferrous Metal Import Monitoring System.”
NFMIMS Registration for Importers
Non-Ferrous Metals Import Monitoring System (NFMIMS) shall require importers to submit advance information in an online system to import items.
NFMIMS Registration Number
The system will generate an automatic unique Registration Number on submission of information. The importer shall have to enter the Registration Number and Registration expiry date in the Bill of Entry to enable Customs to clear the consignment.
Prescribed time to apply for NFMIMS Registration
The importer can apply for online Registration no earlier than the 60th day and not later than the 5th day before the expected arrival date of import consignment.
Validity of Registration Number
The automatic Registration Number thus granted shall remain valid for 75 days.
The importer needs to furnish a fee of Rs 500 to get NFMIMS Registration Number.
A consequence of the Non-Registration
Importers who fail to register their information/data on notified mines items in advance or are found to furnish incorrect data in the Online NFMIMS module will attract punitive action, including action under FTDR Act, 1992.
Non-Ferrous Metal Import Monitoring System Registration procedure
The importers are requested to access the official website of the Non-Ferrous Metal Import Monitoring System (NFMIMS). From the home page, click on the continue button.
Note: concerned importers are required to ensure that their email id and mobile no. are updated in the IEC profile
- On the new page, enter the IEC code, provide Captcha, and click on the login button.
- After login into the portal, provide all mandatory details and click on submit.
- On Registration, a Unique Registration Number (URN) starting with ‘NFS’ will be sent to the IEC holder’s mobile/email id (as given in the IEC database)
Note: No manual documents are to be submitted to any public authority for this purpose.
The importer shall have to enter the Registration Number and Registration expiry date in the Bill of Entry to enable Customs to clear the consignment.
Import Export Code
The Import Export Code is a primary document necessary for commencing Import-export activities. The IE code is to be obtained for exporting or importing any goods or services. IEC has numerous benefits for the growth of the business. Indeed, you cannot ignore the necessity of IE code registration as it is mandatory. You can apply for an Import Export code through IndiaFilings and obtain it within 6 to 7 days.