Manipur Society Registration
Manipur Society Registration
Society is an association of individuals or peoples united together with an aim and objective of providing service for the betterment of others. Manipur Societies Registration Act, 1989, governs the procedure for society registration and operation in Manipur. In Manipur, Society has to be registered with the concerned Registrar in which district it is planned to be established. After registration, society will have legal recognition, and it will be possible to run the society legally. In this article, we look at the process for obtaining Manipur Society registration.
Manipur Societies Registration Act, 1989
According to the Manipur Society Registration Act, 1989, Society or association is an organised group of people united together by agreement to determine, deliberate and collaborate for the charitable services. Society has to be registered at the time of forming with an application at the concerned Registrar of Firms. Society should contain a minimum of 7 members (general body) and a minimum of three executive committee members.
Objectives of Society
A society can be formed for the following purposes under Manipur Societies Registration Act:
- Promotion of literature, arts, science or religion
- Charitable purposes including the care or relief of orphan sick, helpless, aged, or needy persons
- The diffusion of knowledge
- The alleviation of the sufferings of animals
- The establishment and maintenance of reading-rooms or libraries for the members or the public
- The dissemination of social or political or economic education
- The collection and preservation of paintings, manuscripts, sculptures, antiquities, works of art, natural history specimens, mechanical and scientific instruments and designs
- Any other object as notified by the Manipur Government as being beneficial to the public or a section of the public
Acceptable Name for Society
No society will be registered under a name which is identical with or too nearly resembles the title of any other society or any corporate body which has been previously incorporated under this Manipur Societies Registration Act or any other law. Society names should not contain the following words:
- Union, State, Mortgage, Gandhi, Reserve Bank
- Patronage of Central or State Government
- Government Emblems and Names are not acceptable
- Any word implying the sanction, approval
- Name of Indian Institute or University also cannot be registered
- Names prohibited or registered by Manipur Government or Government of India through executive instructions
If two societies continue to exist with the same name, the Manipur Government will send an order to change the name of the society. The society has to change its name and alter its memorandum of association within three months from the date of the order.
Note: No change of name will affect the liabilities and rights of society or any legal proceedings by or against the society.
Evidence of Society Registration
Any seven or more persons incorporated for any of the objects stated above can subscribe their names to an MOA (Memorandum of Association) and file it along with a copy of the regulations (Bye-Laws of Society) with the appropriate Registrar for registration of the association as a society under this Manipur Societies Registration Act.
Upon registering a society in Manipur, Certificate of Regulations and Memorandum of Association (MOA) will be granted. These two documents are serving as evidence for Society registration.
Memorandum of Association (MOA)
The Memorandum of Association will contain the Name of the society members along with the following particulars:
- The name of the association
- The address of the registrar office of the society
- The object of the association
- The names of the members of the Governing Body
- The names, occupation and address of the signatories to the memorandum
Note: After registration of society the memorandum will not be changed.
Document of Regulations or Bye-Laws of Society
The Registrar will not accept any memorandum for registration of society unless a copy of its companies by a copy of society regulations. The document of regulation will contain the following particulars:
- The composition of the Governing Body
- The manner of election or appointment or resignation or removal an of the members of the President, the Secretary, the Governing Body and other officers
- The admission to member and resignation and removal of members
- The maintenance of the register of members and facilities for inspection by the members
- The safe custody of the documents or property of the society, including, the manner of keeping or investing any sums of money of the society
- The procedure for holding meetings of the association, quorum, the period of notice for meetings, the method of voting, and the manner of voting by proxy, where such voting is allowed
- The maintenance and audit of accounts
- The inspection of accounts and the proceedings of meetings, by the members of the society
- Other matter relating to the affairs or objects of the association
Documents Required for Manipur Society Registration
For Manipur Society Registration following documents have to be furnished :
- Application Form
- Proceedings of the first meeting
- Self-attested copies of the regulation
- Self-attested copies of Address and ID Proofs of the office bearers
- Passport size photographs of Executive Committee members
- Executive Committee members ID and address proof
- If the office is in rented premises, registered lease agreement
- In the case of office is in own premises declaration and no rent is collected from
Manipur society registration can be done within fourteen days from the date of application.
Applicable Fee for Manipur Society Registration
For the registration of a society under Manipur society’s registration act, a fee of one hundred rupees needs to be paid.
Manipur Society Registration Procedure
Procedure for registering society under Manipur Society registration Act is explained in detail below.
Approach Registrar Office
Step 1: Applicant has to submit the Memorandum of Association (MOA) along with a copy of the regulations (Bye-Laws of Society) and all other required documents and application to the concerned Registrar.
We have here with attached an Application Form is Manipur Society Registration ActManipur-Societies-Registration Application
Step 2: On submitting the application and applicable fee, the applicant will be provided with an acknowledgement slip with a unique reference number.
Verification by Registrar
Step 3: The concerned registrar will verify the application, MOM, copy of regulation and supporting documents.
The Registrar upon being satisfied that the MOA (Memorandum of association) and the regulation of society will certify and seal that the society is registered under Manipur Society Registration Act. The register will update the same into the Register of society.
Get Certificate of Registration
The registrar will also grant a registered copy of MOA and regulation to the applicant. After obtaining these documents, the society can run legally.
Register of society maintained at the Registrar office contains up-to-date information about the registered societies. A citizen can get a certified copy of the Memorandum of Association or extract of any document or part of the report by filing an application and paying the applicable fee. The application form is attached here.Manipur-Societies-Registration Extract Copy
Alteration of Memorandum and Regulations
- A society will not alter its memorandum except with the previous permission of the Registrar in writing and the votes of its members.
- Before granting permission under the Registrar shall satisfy himself that the alteration does not make the society ineligible for registration under this Act.
- According to the provisions of this Act, the rules and provision of the memorandum a society by the votes of three-fifths of the society members alter its regulations.
Alteration to be filed
A copy of every alteration of the society memorandum of association and the regulations will be filed with Registrar within thirty days of such modification.Manipur-Societies-Registration Alteration
The Registrar will record the alteration within 30 days from the date of such receipt and will send intimation of the fact to the society or communicate to the society his objections to such revision.
Amalgamate with other Society
Societies will have the power to amalgamate with another society under Manipur Society Registration Act. Whenever two or more societies desire to merge, the governing body of each such organisation has to submit a joint proposal in writing to the Registrar for his prior approval.
Note: No such proposal will affect unless the proposal, with the modification, if any, suggested by the Registrar is confirmed by three-fifths of the join members of the societies concerned.
An appeal will lie to the Manipur Government against any order of the State. The government on such request will be final:
- On the proposal being confirmed
- The amalgamated society will be registered under its new name
- The registration of the amalgamating corporations will be cancelled
The assets and the liabilities of the consolidating societies will be the assets and the obligations of the amalgamated society.
The obligation of Registered Society
Name of the society should be prominently shown in the following places:
- Prominently display society name outside its office or the area where its business is carried on
- Society should have a seal with its name engraved
- Society should have its name mentioned in all documents executed in its favour or on its behalf
Register of Members
- Every society will have to maintain, at its registered office, a record of its members and the register should enter the following particulars, namely
- The name and address of each member
- The date and time on which the member was admitted
- The time on which a member ceased
- Books of account and audit
Maintain Books of Account
Every society should keep at its registered office proper books of account in which will be entered accurately all sums of money received and the source and all amounts of money expended by the society:
Note: Every society should have its accounts audited once a year by a duly qualified auditor and have a balance sheet prepared by him. The auditor will also submit a report showing the exact state of the financial affairs of the society.
Annual General Meeting
Every society should hold an annual general meeting every year. The balance sheet and auditor’s report will be placed at the annual general meeting of the society.
Annual and other returns have to be forwarded to Registrar within thirty days after the holding of every annual general meeting. The application form for filing annual general meeting is enclosed here:Manipur-Societies-Registration Filings