Karnataka State Mobility Grand Challenge 2022
Karnataka State Mobility Grand Challenge 2022
Startup Karnataka announced the launch of Karnataka State Mobility Grand Challenge 2022 in association with DULT Bangalore. Karnataka State Mobility Grand Challenge urged the entrepreneur of India to use the Grand Challenge as a platform to showcase their solutions for prevailing urban mobility problems. The program uses a rigorous selection mechanism to crowdsource innovations, fund them in stages and award grant Rs 50.00 Lakh to the selected startup for Scaleup and pilot Implementation.
The objective of the Grand Challenge
This challenge aims to find feasible & scalable solutions for prevailing urban mobility problems. Focus sectors include Urban Development, Health Care, Food Security, Clean Environment and Education for all, etc
Karnataka State Mobility Grand Challenge
The Department of Electronics, IT, Bt, and S&T under Karnataka Start-up Policy 2015-2020 has launched this unique innovation program. In this Grand Challenge, the Department identifies societal problems in consultation with other State government departments. The problem statement is then refined and thrown open for startups, innovators, and individuals to propose potential solutions to the problem.
- The program uses a rigorous selection mechanism to crowdsource innovations, fund them in stages, and award grant money to the final winner.
- The program also enables access to the government departments for identifying innovative solutions.
Partner Department -Directorate of Urban Land Transport (DULT):
The Directorate of Urban Land Transport (DULT) has been set up by the Government of Karnataka (GoK) under the Urban Development Department (UDD) to coordinate the planning and implementation of Urban Transport projects and programs. The Directorate is in general responsible for overseeing all the urban land transport initiatives in Urban/ Local Planning Areas of Karnataka and administers the State Urban Transport Fund (SUTF)
The Eligibility Criteria for the Karnataka State Mobility Grand Challenge is listed as follows:
- The startup Should be an entity (Pvt. Ltd/ OPC/ LLP/ Partnership Firms) Registered or Incorporated in Karnataka.
- Total revenue generated in terms of turnover from the date of incorporation should be less than Rs. 100 Crore
- Startups should not have crossed 10 years from the date of incorporation/ registration certificate as of 16th February 2022.
- Startups/Entity should be working towards innovation, development, or improvement of products or processes or services, or if it is a scalable business model with a high potential of employment generation or wealth creation.
The Department of Electronics, IT, Bt, and S&T under Karnataka Start-up Policy 2015-2020) will offer the following type of benefit to the selected startups:
The selected startups will be eligible for funding up to INR 10 lakhs to test and demonstrate the solution in 3 – 6 months under phase 1
From the selected startups in Phase 1, One Startup will be further selected and awarded upto INR 50 lakhs for Scaleup and Implementation for 6 – 15 months.
The Department of Electronics, IT, Bt, and S&T under Karnataka Start-up Policy 2015-2020) will offer Booster Kit and Incentives for shortlisted startups
Details of Financial Support
The funding support offered by the Department under this scheme is in the form of grant-in aid.
Phase 1: Each challenge selects a maximum of 5 innovative ideas under Phase 1, which will be funded up to INR 10 lakhs each disbursed in one or two equal tranches (depending on the duration of the pilot They will be monitored for a period of three to six months.
Phase 2: After the completion of the pilot duration, one of the selected innovations will be shortlisted for further funding of up to INR 50 lakhs (in the case of 2 awardees the grant will be split based on the committee’s recommendation) for 12-15 months for next stage of Scaleup and pilot implementation.
Note: The fund disbursement is milestone-based and is released in tranches based on the achievement of project milestones.
Karnataka Startup Cell, KITS would be monitoring the progress of the awardees as per the calls made.
|Phase||Number of startups||Amount per startup (INR)||Total amount (INR)|
|Phase 2B||1||50,00,000 (as incentive money to implement a technology / develop & commission a specific solution for deployment)||50,00,00|
|Total amount (Indian National Rupee One Crore Only)||1,00,00,000|
Themes for challenges
The following themes have been identified for the submission of problem statements under the Karnataka State Mobility Grand Challenge 2022
- Develop a product for energy efficient sweeping of narrow lanes like cycle tracks
- Develop contact less enforcement solution to identify violations in use of cycle lanes
- Develop an App/ Online tool that can help government authorities to capture the accident information on-site with minimal manual inputs
- Develop Intelligent Grievance Redressal System for Public Transport using AI/ML
Description of Problem statements is provided in the document.Karnataka-State-Mobility-Grand-Challenge-Problem-Statements-
Conditions to Apply for Grand Challenge
To apply for Karnataka State Mobility Grand Challenge 2022 the following General Terms & Conditions are to be met.
- Registration with shops and establishments cannot be accepted as a certificate of incorporation/ registration to apply for the call.
- MSME, Udyog Aadhar, GST, Trade Union, KMF, VAT certificates, etc. shall not be considered a certificate of incorporation as per the Karnataka Startup Policy Government Order.
- The startup cannot be a subsidiary/ franchise/ white labeled reseller/ part of a group company.
- The startup cannot have a partnership value with another company/ entity.
- The startup cannot be a section 8 company or Trust/ Association/Society or a non-profit company.
- The startup cannot be a Merger/ Demerger of a bigger organization.
- The startup cannot be a part of any Govt. initiative/ aided partner or public-private partnership company/firm.
- Applications that do not comply with the mentioned eligibility criteria/ Supporting Documents will be disqualified at any stage of the Selection/ Funding Process resulting in the cancellation of their Application/Grant.!
- Only one application per Startup/Entity will be accepted. In the case of multiple applications from one Startup, only the first application will be considered.
- Startups that have been winners of Idea2PoC Grant Scheme/ Grand Challenges/ Unnati/Amrita” earlier will not be eligible to apply “
TimeLine of Grand Challenge
|Application Opens||17th January 2022|
|Deadline to Apply||28th February 2022|
The documents required for the Karnataka State Mobility Grand Challenge is as follows:
- Incorporation/ Registration Certificate
- Pitch Deck
Application Procedure for Grand Challenge
The application procedure for Karnataka State Mobility Grand Challenge 2022 is explained here:
- The startup needs to access the official website of Startup Karnataka to apply for Grand Challenge. Click on the Register / Login Button available in the Top Right Corner of the Screen.
- Sign Up as a Startup by filling out an application form based on the instructions provided. Existing Users can directly login to the portal
- Once logged in, select the ‘Funding & Programs’ tab available at the top menu. From the drop=down list, click on the Grand Challenge.
- The link will redirect to a new page, click on apply now option, the application form will open.
- The Eligibility Criteria and other details about Grand Challenge are mentioned on the Landing page of Elevate once you scroll down the page.
- First-level shortlisting will be done for data sufficiency/eligibility as per the Startup Karnataka policy guidelines by the Karnataka Startup Cell team.
- Second level shortlisting will be done in consultation with a pool of jury for the relevant sector Post the second level shortlisting – the Department will organize a Pitch Day for the selection of startups for pilot implementation.
The APEX Committee will shortlist Upto 5 (five) startups for pilot implementation during Pitch Day A MOA will be entered between the shortlisted five startups (hereinafter ‘Awardees’) and KITS.
After the successful completion of the last milestone of Phase 2, a Demo Day will be organized by the Startup Cell. During the Demo Day, all five startups and their Project Anchors will make presentations to the Apex Committee.
Each of the five teams/startups will be evaluated basis pre-decided criteria, feedback from the Partner Department, and scalability of the solution. Based on the presentation and the criteria, APEX Committee will select 1 or 2 final winners for Phase 2B.