Domicile Certificate in Kerala
Domicile Certificate in Kerala
Domicile certificate or Residence Certificate is an essential legal document for proving that a person is having a residence in a State. Domicile certificate allows a person to claim various facilities and schemes provided by the Kerala government. In this article, we look at the procedure for obtaining domicile certificate in Kerala.
Purposes of Obtaining Domicile Certificate
Domicile or Residence certificate is used for many purposes. Some of the essential benefits are listed below:
- Domicile Certificate is used to get local preference in many situations
- Using residence certificate students can get admission in an educational institution
- To prove a claim, for a ration card, it is an important document
- Residence certificate is also used to avail quotas in education
- The user can use the Domicile certificate to apply Government jobs where residents are preferred
- Students can use this certificate to apply for scholarship schemes
Eligibility to get Residence Certificate
Eligibility criteria to get Residence or Domicile certificate in Kerala is given here:
- The person must be a resident of Kerala
- More than 10 years of residence in the state
Documents Required to Apply for Domicile Certificate
The applicant needs to submit below-mentioned documents to apply for Domicile certificate:
- Ration card
- Address proof – passport, voter card, ration card, electricity bill, water bill, telephone bill
- House tax receipt
- Birth Certificate or SSLC certificate
- Identity Proof
- The applicant has to produce property details if any property owned by the parents or guardian
- Application form (In case applying through Akshaya centres)
- To register in the e-District portal, they must have valid Aadhaar Card, Mobile Number, Email ID
Time frame to get a Residence certificate
Residence certificate will be issued within five days from the date of application.
Akshaya Center Fee
The fee to apply Domicile or Residence Certificate in Akshaya centre is Rs. 28. This amount includes Akshaya service charge and Government service charge. The fee structure is as follow:
- Akshaya service charge – Rs. 18
- Government service charge – Rs. 7
- For scanning or printing – Rs. 3 per page
Note: SC or ST families need to pay only Rs. 12 and BPL families to need to pay Rs. 20.
If the applicant is applying through e-District online portal Rs. 15 to be paid.
Apply Domicile or Residence Certificate through Akshaya Centers
To apply the domicile certificate or Residence certificate through Akshaya centres, follow the below-mentioned steps:
Step 1: Visit the Akshaya Centre nearby.
Step 2: The applicant can get an application for Akshaya Centres.
Step 3: Fill all details in the application and submit the application to Akshaya Center operator with the application fee. (Refer above)
Step 4: Get a receipt with application number from Akshaya centre operator.
Note: The applicant will receive SMS to the registered mobile number regarding the progress of the domicile certificate application.
Step 5: Visit Akshaya centre after getting “certificate issued” SMS on the mobile number.
Step 6: The applicant can download and print the domicile certificate.
Apply Domicile certificate online in e-District Portal
Follow the below-mentioned steps to apply certificate through the e-District portal.
Step 1:Visit homepage of e-District Kerala website.
Step 2: To avail certificate services in e-District Kerala portal, the applicant needs to register in this portal. Click on New portal user creation option.
Step 3: In the next page, the applicant needs to enter details:
- Enter the details such as Name, DOB, Place, District, Mobile Number, Gender, House Number, Locality and Aadhar Number
- Select the login name and password.
- Select any one Password recovery question and write an answer to this question. If the applicant forgets the password, e-portal will identify them with this information and they can recover the password.
Step 4: Enter the shown case-sensitive characters. The applicant needs to click on validate at first; if all the information entered is correct, they can click on register.
Step 5: Once the registration is completed, the applicant can log in into the e-district portal using the username and password.
One Time Registration
The applicant needs to do a one-time registration before applying the certificate.
Step 6: One-time registration can be done by clicking the menu ‘one-time registration’. The applicant needs to enter all the details and click on the duplicate button.
The duplicate section will find out if the applicant has already registered through Akshaya Centers and they can pick all details. After successful completion of the duplicate check, the ‘submit’ button will be enabled.
AadhaarStep 7: Now click on submit button. The applicant can edit the registered details later using ‘Edit Registration’.
Step 8: Click Applicant registration the link will go to the next page. Click on “Submit”.
Step 9: After completion of the registration, select “apply for certificate” and then click on Start.
Follow the below 3 stage process to apply online.
Application Detail Section
Step 10: The applicant needs to enter the e-District register number.
Step 11: Select certificate type as Domicile certificate. The applicant has to select a certificate purpose from the drop-down menu.
Step 12: Provide the name and select self from the relationship drop-down menu.
Step 13: After clicking, the applicant will reach to the “attach document” section.
Step 14: In this section, the applicant has to upload the documents mentioned above.
Note: The applicant can only attach PDF documents, and it should be 100KB or lower.
Step 15: Once the applicant has uploaded all the documents, they can make payment. Go through the entered detail and select Payment.
- Registration Number
- Certificate Type
- Payment of the total amount
- Payment Section
Step 16: Mode of payment of the fee:
- Net banking
- Debit card payment
- Credit Card Payment
- Cash-card prepaid
Step 17: After successful payment of fee, the applicant will redirect to the next page. Now they can take a print out of this receipt and application.
Status of application
The applicant can check the status of the application in “transaction history” on the left tab. The applicant will receive SMS to the registered mobile number regarding the progress of Residence certificate application.
Step 18: After receiving a “certificate issued” SMS on the mobile number login into e-District portal and take a print out of the certificate.